Parents, take note and don’t allow your kids to press down on the sink when they’re using it. That’s because this can lead to detrimental consequences, as evidenced by this 10-year-old boy in Tainan. The boy, identified by his surname Wang, was at the bathroom sink trying to look into the mirror when tragedy struck.
He pressed hard on the sink and unexpectedly, the sink suddenly fell off the wall and broke, Taiwan Apple Daily reported. As a result of the broken sink, the ceramic pieces and sharp edges severely injured Wang. When his parents found him, he was lying in a pool of blood, and they quickly sent him to the hospital. Oh no!
The nerves, arteries, muscles and veins in the boy’s hands and feet were sliced to ribbons and a team of medical staff was drafted to save Wang’s life. After a gruelling four-hour operation, they managed to repair his body and told the boy’s parents that he had actually severed eight of his vascular nerves.
There were lacerations all over his body due to the sharp ceramic bits and Wang had to be hospitalised for a week. As multiple nerves were injured, Wang had to undergo physiotherapy to ensure that he could use his limbs properly. As he is still a growing boy, these injuries may continue to affect him in the future and could even affect the function of his hands.
The doctor warns other parents about this, saying that wounds caused by ceramic or glass breaking are very serious. He urges parents not to install floating sinks that do not have any support at the bottom as young children have the tendency to press on the sink when using it. He added that sinks should be replaced immediately if any cracks appear and hopes that this incident can be used as a warning to other people.
Always be alert and watch out because you don’t know when accidents will happen!